top of page
_First Baptist Church of Cheswold Logo.jpg

History
of

_First Baptist Church of Cheswold Logo.jpg

First Baptist Church of Cheswold

Scripture
_First Baptist Church of Cheswold Logo.jpg

First Baptist Church of Cheswold was organized in January 1953 as a mission and became a Church in July 1953. They worshipped in a building on Road 42 leading from Cheswold to Kenton, Delaware until Rose Bowl Road was purchased. 

Through continuous prayer, on October 17th, 1954 they moved into what we know as First Baptist Church of Cheswold, 291 Rose Bowl Road, Dover, Delaware 19901. Their church membership began with 7 individuals. Through continuous prayers and efforts, a loan was secured from the Farmer’s Bank of the State of Delaware to erect the structure completed on April 14th, 1959.

A mortgage Burning Service for this structure was held on Saturday, August 31st, 1963. From the beginning until September of 1962, the Church was pastored by Reverend Roland Coker.

  • From November 1962 to November 1965, Reverend Dr. J. Gerald Harvey was Pastor.

  • From January 1966 until his death in July 1968, Reverend William D. Brown served as Pastor.

  • From July 1968 to September 1969, Reverend Clarence Henderson served as Pastor.

  • From November 1969 to December 1970, Reverend Walter Hackett served as Pastor.

  • From March 1971 to May 1973, Reverend Clifton V. Holmes served as Pastor.

  • From August 1973 to January 1990, Reverend Calvin Jones served as Pastor. Reverend Calvin Jones pastored for 17 years.

 

 

Even while experiencing fluctuations in membership, the church was noted for its involvement in the community and for extending a helping hand wherever needed. The Church was an active ministry in the prison for several years. In fact, First Baptist Church of Cheswold served as “HOME” for the members of the New Hope Choir of the Delaware Correctional Center. This choir has the unique national distinction of being the FIRST to enter churches, schools, and auditoriums throughout the state. Many churches derived benefits from these programs. The choir was also involved in providing food baskets throughout the community during the holidays.

Pastor Jones was dedicated to assisting the church however he could and his special fundraising efforts supported the building fund. Of particular significance were the gospel marathons, 12 hours of continuous service; Pennsylvania Day {sponsored by Sister Frances Ruiz Mena and Siter Thelma Driggus}, Hope Family and Friends Day, and programs initiated by the willing workers. Services for the Mortgage Burning for the purchase of additional land were held on the 28th Anniversary of the Church on July 12th, 1981. Other projects launched during this period included the structural extension, furnishing of Choir and Trustee rooms, upgrading the kitchen and dining area, baptismal pool installation, and the purchase of a second organ.

In February 1991, the Reverend Willie L. Savage was installed as Pastor and stayed with First Baptist Church of Cheswold until 2010. As progress continued, the church membership was increasing, the Education Program was expanding, and purchases included pulpit/choir furniture, and a 15-passenger van. Further growth was expected as they trusted in God to add to the Church daily. Reverend Willie Savage was called to Shepherd over Charis Christian Center in Middletown, Delaware.

On June 12th, 2010, Reverend Philemon Hill was installed as Pastor with the goal of evangelizing the local community. Reverend Hill was with First Baptist Church of Cheswold for 6 years.

On March 11th, 2016, Reverend Parris Williams was installed as Pastor and stayed with the congregation until February 2023.

April 23rd, 2023 First Baptist Church of Cheswold celebrated its 69th Church Anniversary. Through God’s Grace and Mercy, He has kept us standing, praising His Word, and growing in Faith.

Rejoicing In God’s Grace and to God be the Glory!!! … for “ALL” the things he has done and will do for the Body of Christ at First Baptist Church of Cheswold.

To God be the Glory; for “ALL” the things He has done.

DSC07924.jpg
bottom of page